ATHENIAN GARDEN SPICE gives this vegetable soup a full flavor and satisfying richness that will please even the most determined meat eater.
In a 6 quart pot, sauté the onion in olive oil until lightly browned. Add the celery, carrot, beans with juice, tomatoes, barley or wheat, ATHENIAN GARDEN SPICE and water. Simmer, covered, until the barley or wheat is almost tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and simmer 15 minutes more or until the potatoes are done.
NOTE: Vegetables may be varied as desired.
- 1 Medium Onion, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 c Celery chunks
- 1 Carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 c canned Garbanzos or other beans, with juice
- 15 oz crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 c Barley or shelled Whole Wheat*
- 3 tbsp Athenian Garden Spice
- 8 c Water
- 1/4 c frozen or fresh Green Beans
- 1/4 c Peas
- 1/4 c Broccoli
- 1 Small Potato, diced