Muhammara is served as a condiment with grilled meats and chicken. It is also great as a dip or a sandwich spread.
Place walnuts in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Drain roasted red peppers, reserving liquid. Place in the processor with remaining ingredients. Process until almost smooth, adding reserved red pepper liquid and a little water if needed to obtain a dip consistency.
Variation: For a mellower Muhammara, blend it into 8 oz of softened cream cheese.
NOTE: The hot pepper paste is preferred in this recipe. However, the concentrated paste, which is available in supermarkets, may be used.
- 1 1/2 c Walnuts
- 16 oz Roasted Red Peppers
- 1/3 c hot pepper paste* OR 1 Tbsp concentrated hot pepper paste
- 1/2 c plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate syrup*
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Aleppo Pepper* or hot chile
- 2 tsp Sesame Tahini Sauce & Dip Spice