This hearty vegetarian stew has many ingredients, but is very easy to prepare and cooks in less than 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, gingerroot, garlic, jalapeños and GARAM MASALA INDIAN BLEND. Sauté over moderately high heat, until onions are golden brown. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and stew is thick. Add water as needed to keep the stew from sticking to the pot.
NOTE: Jalapeño peppers are very hot. Wash hands and utensils thoroughly after chopping. Rubber or plastic gloves may be used if hands are sensitive.
- 1/4 c Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh Gingerroot
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 4 Jalapeño Peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala Indian Blend
- 1 c Red Lentils, rinsed
- 1 Small Eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb: Pound Green Beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Large Tomato, diced
- 1/4 c Chopped Cilantro
- 2 tbsp Tamarind paste*
- 3 c Water