This very easy one-dish meal is mildly hot. You can increase or decrease the heat by adjusting the amount of ETHIOPIAN HOT SPICE.
Rinse chicken and set aside. In a large, deep frying pan, sauté red onion, carrots, garlic and ETHIOPIAN HOT SPICE in Clarified Butter until onion is translucent. Add diced tomatoes, water, wine and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken, potatoes and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, until chicken and vegetables are tender, turning chicken pieces occasionally. Add water as needed to keep it from drying out.
- 1 Large Red Onion, sliced
- 4 Medium Carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 tsp Ethiopian Hot Spice
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter
- 15 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1 c Water
- 1/4 c Dry Red Wine
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 1/2 Chicken Pieces, skinned
- 4 Medium White Rose or Red Potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1/4 c Chopped Cilantro