This is the most popular Greek soup. Its richness and lemony flavor is very satisfying and is a wonderful addition to any Greek meal.
In a 4 quart pot, sauté onion and celery in Clarified Butter or oil until onion is browned. Add broth, rice, carrots, chicken and JERUSALEM HUMMUS SPICE. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes until rice is tender.
Meanwhile, prepare Avgolemono Sauce. When rice is tender, pour Avgolemono Sauce slowly into soup, whisking continuously. Simmer 10 minutes longer.
- 2/3 c finely diced Onion
- 1/2 c finely diced Celery
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter or Olive Oil
- 6 c Chicken Broth
- 1/2 c Calrose (pearl or medium grain) rice
- 2 small Carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 8 oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, rinsed and diced
- 1 tsp Jerusalem Hummus Spice
- (Salt to taste)
- 1 recipe Avgolemono Sauce